Experienced Orthodontist – Allen, TX
Get to Know Megan Hanson, DDS, MSD
For Dr. Hanson, the best thing about her job isn’t the teeth, it’s the people! Nothing makes her happier than enabling a patient to feel comfortable and then working alongside our excellent team to give them a stellar smile. Before joining our orthodontic office, she pursued 11 years of higher education to become an engineer, a dentist, and an orthodontist, and now, she is excited to create a beautiful, healthy smile with you. To start getting to know her ahead of your visit, read on below.
Why Did You Decide to Become an Orthodontist?
Dr. Hanson never knew she wanted to be an orthodontist growing up, and no one in her family was a doctor or dentist. She studied mechanical engineering in college, and an internship with a medical device company after her freshman year got her interested in biology and the human applications of engineering. She started considering some of the medical professions, because she loved interacting with people. After shadowing an orthodontist, she was hooked because it was all of her passions combined: engineering, getting to work with people, and a fast-paced environment!
Where Did You Study Dentistry & Orthodontics?
Dr. Hanson graduated from The University of Texas at Austin with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, where she eventually saw the light and decided to pursue dentistry. She went on to earn her DDS degree from The University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston. While there, she earned numerous awards, was nominated to join the Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Society, and was frequently on the Dean’s Student Excellence List.
After dental school, Dr. Hanson completed a two-year orthodontic residency in Houston, earning a Master of Science in Dentistry along with her Certificate in Orthodontics. She has since had her work published in both the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics and the American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics.
Today, she regularly takes continuing education through her memberships in the American Dental Association, Texas Dental Association, and the American Academy of Orthodontists.
Dr. Hanson’ dental memberships and accolades include the following:
- Diamond+ Status (top 1%) Certified Invisalign Provider
- Published author, Journal of Clinical Orthodontics
- Published author, American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Recipient, Top Senior Student Award by American Association of Orthodontics (UTHealth)
- Recipient, Outstanding Dental Student Award by the Texas Dental Association
- Recipient, American Association of Orthodontists Senior Award
- American Association for Dental Research SCADA Representative
- 1st Place Dental Student Poster, Star of the South Scientific Table Clinic
- Dr. Donald C. Kroeger Research Scholarship Award
- Member, American Association of Orthodontists
- Member, American Dental Association
- Member, Texas Dental Association
- Member, North Texas Dental Society
Outside of the Orthodontic Office, What Do You Like to Do?
When she’s not crafting smiles at the orthodontic office, Dr. Hanson loves making guacamole and eating tacos with her husband, Troy. They met in the engineering program at UT, and he works as a strategy consultant. The Hansons enjoy being outdoors and traveling to places with mountains where they can hike or go snow skiing. Dr. Hanson likes learning new things, whether from a podcast, book, or documentary, so when you see her, make sure you recommend your recent favorites!